Its #100HappyDays when you make a giant bowl of chilli crab, and finish it off before you take a photo 🙂
When three ingredients come together to make the perfect winter meal its #100HappyDays …
A simple onion soup, all it takes is a bit of time and a bit of patience, and then you get a warming and heartening meal.
The whole world seems to be on a health kick – avoid sodium, no oil, eat organic, skip the preservatives. However when it comes to our four legged friends, we have been splurging on getting them prepackaged snacks. And when I say splurge, I mean splurge… I spend about Rs. 12,000 ($218) a month.
This exercise had a two fold approach for me. Most importantly ensuring the dogs eat healthier, secondly, to save some money.I can use the money to get them more stuff at better quality.
The two snack ideas below use good quality chicken and I know where it came from, rather than having to do guesswork on what off cuts are being fed to my dogs.
Basic oatmeal biscuit
Ingredients (makes about 30)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (we use a flour which is 10 parts wheat, 1 part soybean, 1 part chickpea flour, but you can use plain whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of a chicken stock (You can use stock cubes, but I used a full stock. If you use stock cubes, I suggest cutting down on the salt)
Bacon bits, shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees centigrade
- Mix all the ingredients into a dough
- Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
- The dough may be a little sticky. Thats ok, but shouldn’t be too sticky
- Roll out the dough into a cylinder approx 1 cm thick. Use your judgement on size. Make them big or small depending on your dog.
- Roll the pieces of dough into balls.
- Press down with a fork
- Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
- Cook for 30 minutes
The next recipe is for a chicken jerky which is so good, you might keep it for yourself.
- 150 gms skinless chicken breast meat (or thigh meat if you prefer)
- Herbs – try using herbs which are not very strong e.g.: rosemary, parsley, sage. Choose one.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree centigrade
- Slice the breast into ¼ to ½ inch strips
- Coat the slices with a little bot of oil, salt and the chosen herbs.
- Line the strips in a baking tray, but don’t crowd the pieces.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- The strips should look golden and should be dry when done.
Isn’t it strange that some of the best things in the world, immediately remind you of something wrong? However put that thought out of your mind and make these amazing Maple glazed Cinnamon Buns.
From: Serious Eats
From Wired – Fourteen Fictional Foods you can’t have, I really really want the Popplers – gladly substituted with popcorn chicken from Buddy Broaster…
You can pick ‘em, you can lick ‘em, you can chew ‘em, you can stick ‘em. If you promise not to sue us, you can shove one up your nose!”— Futurama
Wired.com (24/05/2014: Original link has been removed)